How to apply for BSc Petroleum Engineering at DPE

Applications for the upcoming summer term 2018 need to be submitted by February 5, 2018 at 23:59. Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.

Degree programs at Montanuniversität begin in the winter and summer semester. However, it is best to begin in the winter semester. All students with a high school diploma can study at Montanuniversität as there is no selection process and the number of university places is unlimited. You can only become an enrolled and matriculated student during the matriculation periods.

International students please be aware that the admission and visa process can take several months, for this reason it is highly recommend to send your application 6 months in advance.

If you are not sure you want to apply yet, learn more about BSc Petroleum Engineering first.

BSc Petroleum Engineering

BSc Petroleum Engineering

Harald Tauderer

I am an Austrian citizen.

I am a resident of the EU.

I live outside the EU.

Application Process for Austrians

1. Pre-requisites

  • Hold a high school diploma
    • Anyone without a high school diploma may sit the equivalency test to determine if they are ready for bachelor studies at university
    • You can take equivalency tests for engineering and mining studies at Graz University of Technology
  • A minimum B2 English level is recommended

2. Required documents

Bring all original documents to Montanuniversität registrar’s office: Admission Office, Franz-Josef-Strasse 18, 8700 Leoben, Austria

  • Passport or birth certificate/proof of citizenship combined with an ID-card
  • High school diploma or equivalent certificate
    • If transferring from another Austrian university, you will also need to bring your leaving certificate and the student statistics form

3. Registration at Montanuniversität

  • Submit your pre-registration online
  • Show evidence of the required documents at the Registrar's Office
  • Pay students' union membership fee [ÖH-Beitrag]
  • Sign into your MU-Online account.
    • Note: For the first access to your MU-Online account, you will need the pin code given to you at registration office
  • Sign-up for classes

For detailed information please visit the following links:


Is there a selection process or quota system for applicants?

There is no selection process for the Bachelor program, and there is no limited number of students who will be admitted.

When are the deadlines to submit an application and when does the semester begin?

For dates and deadlines, please consult the official Montanuniversität Leoben Calendar. Foreign students should be aware that the admission and visa processes can take several months. For this reason, it is highly recommended to send your application six months in advance.

When do I have to pay the tuition fee and which are the methods of payment?

Tuition fees are due right after registering at the university and as early as possible. Take into account that you cannot register for lectures until you pay the tuition and/or student union fee. You can only pay via transfer or deposit in an Austrian bank.

I do not speak German. Can I be admitted to the Bachelor program?

Yes, you can, if you meet all the other requirements. The university offers German courses for that purpose.

Is it necessary to pass the IELTS or TOEFL test?

Since the BSc Petroleum Engineering is held in English, it is necessary to reach an advanced English proficiency level with IELTS (minimum score 6.0), TOEFL ibt (minimum score 80) or TOEFL pbt (minimum score 550).

Can I transfer credits from another university?

Yes, you can. This will be decided by the curricular commission.

Where can I find information about the equivalence of courses from BSc programs of other universities and Montanuniversität?

You have to apply for equivalency, and the curricular commission will decide.

Who can I talk to, if I have questions?

You can contact Office Manager Patrizia Haberl or International Student Coordinator Cornelia Praschag.

Where can I find information about subjects available to study at the Bachelor level?

Montanuniversität Leoben provides a comprehensive list of available study programs.

Could you please send me information about your BSc Petroleum Engineering program?

Please consult the page Academics > BSc PE > Overview.

What qualifications are required for admission to the BSc PE?

Please select your citizenship at Apply > Enrollment Process > BSc PE and follow the instructions.

Are all the courses that are listed on the Undergraduate Prospectus and Undergraduate Handbook offered each year or each semester?

Courses are offered each year. Winter semester courses are different from summer semester courses.

More questions? Ask Office Manager Patrizia Haberl!