A thesis is an integral part of a Master Study Program. It is the documentation of a student’s “mastery” by practical or theoretical research results in the field of his/her elective course.
DPE defines “mastery” as the ability to successfully apply the concepts, methods, and skills taught in the different modules of its International Study Program in Petroleum Engineering, in order to solve a well-posed problem of relevance to industry and/or academia.
The following information applies to students who started the MSc program at Montanuniversität Leoben. For detailed information regarding thesis procedure, thesis defense and further requirement at Gubkin consult the Gubkin University website.
Procedure at Montanuniversität Leoben
- According to your topic, get in touch with the contact person from the Chair of Drilling & Completion Engineering.
- A supervisor from the scientific staff, involved in the respective field of study, will be assigned to you. He or she will advise and guide you on your selected topic.
- Write the thesis proposal and submit it for approval.
- The standard time frame for the Master’s Thesis is at least five months. Usually, a 60-80 pages long thesis - without appendices and supplemental material- is expected.
- You will defend your MSc thesis at both universities.
- Montanuniversität Leoben: There are four dates available per year (usually during October, December, March, and June) to defend the MSc thesis. You can consult the specific dates on Joint MSc PE Calendar or ask Ms. Patrizia Gäbler.
- Gubkin University: Consult available dates on Gubkin University website.
Defense and Examination at Montanuniversität Leoben
The thesis defense will take place at least one week before the Master’s Examination date.
- The presentation of the thesis will take 20 minutes, and 10-20 minutes will be for questions from the scientific staff. You can introduce yourself for 2-3 minutes. In the end, you will receive the final grade for your MSc thesis.
The Master’s examination will be structured as follows:
- Short presentation (5 minutes max.) of your MSc thesis.
- Oral examination in two of the following areas:
- Data Acquisition & Analysis
- Solid & Fluid Mechanics
- Economics & Management
- Drilling & Completion
Requirements at Montanuniversität Leoben
To be able to select a date for the MSc thesis defense and Master’s Examination at Montanuniversität Leoben, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have all courses (lectures, labs, etc.) from the MSc program completed.
- The thesis must be finished at least one month before the exam date.
- Have the thesis registered on MUOnline at the Theses menu point. The abstract must be uploaded in English and German. Keywords, supervisors, co-supervisors must be appropriately listed.
- The abstract is required in both English and German because submission and acceptance on MUOnline can only be done if the abstract in German has been uploaded.
- Once your MSc thesis has been approved, it is required to be printed and bounded. You will be informed how many copies are needed.
Ass.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Michael Prohaska-Marchried
Drilling and Completion Engineering